Monday, January 9, 2012

Why I Don't Care for Wierd Records and "Coldwave"

All roads on here would appear to lead to Sean McBride. I trashed Genesis P. Orridge, Sean played as a member of Psychic TV over the summer. I write about Patrick Ogle and Sam Rosenthal's Black Tape for a Blue Girl, I recall Sean saying he opened for them at one point. I know Sean from a day job he has at a bookstore in Brooklyn. I've said this before he is a good guy, I'm not blown away by his music. I think there are two real issues here with Sean's music and the bands on that label Wierd Records that he's on. The first issue if written about elsewhere a little bit, I think those bands are essentially re-creating 80's music without adding much to it. I could go even further then that- not only were people like Genesis P. Orridge and Sam Rosenthal doing music like that all the way back in the 80's, I don't even think that the Wierd bands are necessarily picking up on the more sonically intriguing elements of Psychic TV or Black Tape for a Blue Girl( although Patrick used to argue and he's probably right that Sam Rosenthal was less responsible for the successes of Black Tape for a Blue Girl then you might think). The other problem I think is this whole "coldwave" term those people throw around. On the topic of Patrick Ogle, there was actually a brief time in which Patrick and I were discussing the possibility of forming a band. At one point I threw out some idea for a name for the band and Patrick wrote me an e-mail that said "I don't care if you name this band after my nut sack". I have my differences with Patrick but these "cold wave" people could probably learn something from the attitude articulated in that statement. I'm perfectly fine with describing my musical tastes as being "metal" and "goth" or even that whole "gothic metal" thing over in Europe. It doesn't bother me-my two favorite bands are Joy Division and Voivod really. Coldwave bands are all essentially goth bands. I'm not that into "coldwave". I'm into goth and metal, mostly older goth and metal. It boggles the mind that anyone would think their goth music that consists of five notes on an analog synth and a repetitive beat on old drum machine is somehow more deeply intellectual because it is "coldwave" and not goth. Do not get me wrong: Sam Rosenthal is a loser. I sent him an e-mail one time he sent back something rude, I don't recall the exact wording. Patrick and others had commented on Sam Rosenthal's lack of social skills. I think the word that came up a lot was "annoying". I did actually find myself listening to some much older Black Tape for a Blue Girl this week and liking it, but Sam Rosenthal was making some fairly excremental music in the 2000's. The last decade of Sam Rosenthal and Genesis P. Orrdige is pretty much the same non-event, except Rosenthal didn't get the breast implants. This is not what interests me most to write about. How could it possibly be? I have a radio that tunes into the Michael Savage show 3-6 p.m. every day, 720 AM in Las Vegas, I have a copy of A Serbian Film, and Human Centipede 2 comes out on DVD Valentine's Day. A little right wing talk radio, some extreme European torture films, what more stimulation do you need? The look on people's faces when I say that is truly priceless. The blog I've done very recently that's getting the most hits though is actually the posting of sketches by Voivod's drummer of all things, so this kind of stuff gets read, and I rather be read then not read for whatever reasons. If people are goggling the word "Voivod", then I'm going to keep re-writing the word Voivod. I'm going to guess that Voivod will continue to beat out Wierd Records. I wish I could find Sam Rosenthal's video art. There was a VHS of it released, but you can't even find it on YouTube. That is surely hilarious bad art.

No comments:

Post a Comment