Thursday, May 10, 2012

Sledgehammer: Sex and Murder Video Action!

The blogs I do on here that get the most hits are of the reviews of horror films overwhelmingly, and I get very, very sick of it. Most of the time it's also extreme gore flicks and/or films that were banned in this or that country. If that's what I need to do to generate publicity, that's what I will do That's not even necessarily what interests me in terms of horror films. My review of Zombie Christ did pretty well, but that is one of the worst films I've ever seen, if not the worst. I like this company Intervision Pictures that puts out bizarre straight-to-video (and sometimes shot-on-video) horror film oddities from the 80's and early 90's. These films are fairly gory and one of them, The Burning Moon, is banned in Germany for reasons I fail to understand. However, these films are so absurd and low-budget that it would be hard to imagine taking them seriously at all. I've seen these movies described as "unintentional surrealism" which is sort of an accurate, if vague, description of these films. Sledgehammer fits that bill. This is a shot-on-video slasher film from the 80's, one of the first apparently. Parts of the film make little or no sense, although it generally follows a standard "young people in a house" type slasher film. I'm too lazy to write a plot synopsis to this film. I will tell you that the killer uses a sledgehammer, of course. It stars onetime Playgirl model Ted Prior and was director by his brother, David A Pryor. There's some serious mullet haircut action in this one. However, the most notable feature of this film is an odd, base heavy synth soundtrack, which doesn't sound quite like any soundtrack I've ever heard before. Some of the wilder Goblin soundtrack work is the closest thing I can think of. So little rock and roll music for me stands the test of time. I like Joy Division a lot, I like Voivod, the first three albums by The Cult, and Switchblade Symphony's first album "Serpentine Gallery". I like the Goblin soundtracks those are good, but I think the soundtrack to Sledgehammer is really wild sounding, and vey cheesy. Yeah, I like that Intervision Pictures company I hope they dig up more oddities like this. That's sort of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment