Saturday, April 30, 2011

Silencer, Death Pierce Me...


Silencer:
Death, Pierce Me

            I find myself detached and disinterested from general discussion in Williamsburg/Greenpoint. I have no idea how anyway can justify living in a city with rent two-three times what Las Vegas on account of art and culture, when the only culture it seems to produce is a recycling of indie rock and post-structuralism.  When I lived in Las Vegas I could sit and watch Fox News at the sports bar near my home for hours and it was more stimulating.  I’m keen on the topic of firearms and I have very specific opinions about horror films and metal, in particular black metal.  Such is true of the band Silencer.  
Silencer is a Swedish black metal band started around 1995, that released one album and then split up because the singer (Natteramn) was committed to a mental hospital.  The band’s gimmick is in all the photos of the guy, he has cut-off pigs feet wrapped in cloth around his hands so that he looks like he has hooves.  I have no reason to doubt the rumor about his being committed.  Pig’s feet for hands, screaming on stage about being a demon- that could do it.   They only made on album, Death, Pierce Me- it is an excellent album. I’ve seen this band identified as belonging to the subgenre within a subgenre of suicidal black metal.  Silencer? Silencer is animalistic screaming from a guy wearing pig’s feet on his hands.  Hi-pitch squealing from likely imbalanced vocalist over technically precise hi-speed black metal at its finest.
            Death, Pierce Me is abrasive to the next level of abrasive. It consists of a few very lengthy tracks.  It has moments of melancholic expressivity, for example the pianos on the track “Feeble are You, Sons of Sion”. Did they mean to say “Zion”? Who knows, the guy flopped around screaming with pig’s feet on his hands. I have to say, that whole thing with the pig's feet is truly demented.
            I recently wrote on here about how the band Akitsa belong to the category of “primitive black metal”.  I think I’d take the primitive black metal approach over the suicidal black metal subgenre as represented by Silencer. I like Silencer, but I find them comical.  Silencer is good, but a really amazing black metal band in my opinion. is Akitsa. See, I’m not completely apathetic. I strongly prefer the animalistic screams on an Akitsa album to the animalistic screams on the Silencer album.  

No comments:

Post a Comment