Saturday, May 7, 2011

Terrible Music! Kangroo by Big Star covered by This Mortal Coil!



      
         Yeah, here you go.  This Mortal Coil, eighties gothic kind of band, though somehow their music is more evocative of the 90’s somehow, perhaps because their version of Tim Buckley’s Song of the Siren was used in the Lynch film Lost Highway- although it did not appear on the soundtrack album with Rammstein and Marilyn Manson, Nine Inch Nails and the rest. I’m sick to death of hearing about David Lynch and have been for years but that’s actually a good soundtrack album.  This Mortal Coil did not have a stable line up I think it was just the producer Ivo and he would rotate members. Kim Deal from Pixies for example or the woman from Dead Can Dance. About half of their songs are covers or so.  For music of that kind I would say your best bet is Joy Division’s Closer album.  I actually find the development of extreme metal in about the same years far more stimulating.  Early Celtic Frost, early Voivod, that’s good stuff.  I don’t know about This Mortal Coil though. 
         The original of Kangroo is by Big Star.  I would describe Big Star as being a band that did much the sound that indie rock has tried to duplicate but they were doing what they did in the early 70’s. The most notable quote from Big Star leader Alex Chilton I can recall is “there are people who think Big Star made some of the best rock and roll albums of all time. And I think they’re wrong.”  I owned that Big Star album that is on Third: Sister Lover. Probably it is not a bad record but I see where the late Alex Chilton was coming from with his self-deprecating assertion.  Big Star are easily described as ahead of their time, but that’s because the douche bag hipsters on Bedford Ave with the bar band you don’t care about had yet to exist. 
            Circa 2002-2003 I still had hopes of creating bands, while working as a foot messenger in Manhattan. My mother had passed way in June of 2002, so my problems with depression. I listened very closely to This Mortal Coil looking for ideas.  I wanted to female singers in the band working in harmony.  The fantasy was, of course, that the two girls in the band would both be my girlfriends. It didn’t happen.  There’s a very good chance that it would have been an unbearable band if it had.  Even This Mortal Coil is sort of unbearable.  Very art students of 20 years ago or more.  Nothing better to do then to rehash all that.  Throw in My Bloody Valentine Isn’t Anything with that.
            

No comments:

Post a Comment