Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Futurity of the Status of my Writing or Something Along Those Lines


It is hard to say what will happen with my writing these days. I am in general sort of despondent about it, as I am with many other things. This blog I have plans to continue with. My fiction remains in an uncertain place. This blog is hooked up to Adsense, so I may eventually make a buck off of it, which is more then I can say about a lot of projects that surface out of micro-presses. A fair few people have been reading it. The interview I did with Danny Jock on YouTube went over also relatively well so I adopted the straight ahead, anecdotal, tone of the YoutUbe interview and expanded it. In that interview I talk about how my grandfather developed the M14 assault rifle and being an NRA certified firearms instructor and a member of the Libertarian Part. I talk about living in Las Vegas. There’s the story about my knowing about fraud at American Apparel before it hit the news through Daniel Nicherie’s Xanax dealer in Vegas, some reflections on doing security work for William Powell at the Sci-Fi center in Las Vegas, and then at the end I mention black metal, a few horror films I like, and Derek Raymond. That is about the expectation of what this blog will have material about. However, I can see from the stats on here what is grabbing a lot of hits from the internet. That does shape what content will make it on here, for example if I can see that Derek Raymond is not getting hits on here, but reviewing Joseph Wambaugh does get hits, then I’ll do Wambaugh over Derek Raymond. The answer is sort of disappointing but I’m going to go with it. What I’m learning from the statistics is that reviews of mid-popularity bands are doing well, specifically my review of Celtic Frost Into the Pandemonium and the album Third: Sister Lovers by Big Star. What those two things really have in common is that they are mid-sized bands, they have a following but are not so huge that the blog would be lost in a web-search. That’s unfortunate, because I don’t really like many bands and don’t want to be too much of a rock critic type. There is a kind of juggling of sincerity and pleasing and finding an audience, but that’s how it goes.
My fiction is in a much more ambiguous state. Certain things about my life, that story about getting information about Dov Chareny through Daniel Nicherie’s Xanax dealer, that’s right out of The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo. However, I have no publisher right now and to switch over to doing crime fiction which is sort of my intent with my fiction, I have to learn how to write backwards, in so far as an event has happened in a murder mystery, and the details must be reconstructed. That may take a while. Again, there is a juggling of sincerity and finding an audience. So be it. I don’t know where that is all going to sit.

No comments:

Post a Comment