Saturday, July 9, 2011

Music Review: Sacrilege Behind the Realms of Madness

I'll tell you what I think about rock and roll right now. You know what period really does it for me, the early years of extreme metal in the 80's. People talk about 80's goth and punk, but I've been increasingly of the opinion that the better ideas from those genres where integrated into metal by the middle of the 80's and perfected by the likes of Celtic Frost or Voivod. I've written about Celtic Frost on here, excellent, excellent band. I wrote about Bathory earlier this week, the first Scandinavian black metal band, they were something else. I can not shut up about Voivod when I get started. Mayhem actually started in the 80's, later becoming infamous for the black metal church burning chaos. Of those bands Sacrilege is the one that I never hear anyone talk about. To bad, they're good.
The real element that makes Sacrilege different from those other bands in very serious ways is that they had a female vocalist. Yeah, well Lynda Simpson was a sexy metal chick back then. Go back and check her out, she had quite a set of pipes.
Their audience apparently overlaps with the crusty punk thing. Those crusty punk people are into all kinds of fringe leftist politics that I have nothing to do with. I couldn't make out any of the lyrics to Sacrilege songs and don't see any indications of overt politics in their music.
They are as loud and aggressive a metal band from the 80's as you've heard other then that. I think Sacrilege might have worked with minimal production budgets and a lot of the music they made was originally for demo tapes. There first release which is about EP length is Behind the Realms of Madness It's now available for 6 bucks or so on Amazon as an mp3 album, there is no real excuse for a serious metal fan not to own this album. It wasn't a demo but that is much the feel that it has, probably it's strength really. Sacrilege could play.
They're solid. I think they'll do you.

No comments:

Post a Comment