Sunday, June 12, 2011

Music Review-David Lyudmirsky's Their Only Dreams- WRETCHED!

Their Only Dreams

Pop Tart/Darling in Dream Dimension

Music review

Alas, the whole culture of bands, music magazines, “projects” and general shit that floats around that no one cares about.
Their Only Dreams is a musical project by a guy out in California named David Lyudmirsky. I think it is probably just him with a four track or his computer or something. I had to turn if off because I couldn’t stand the sound of it. I did a little research on-line. The only press this guy gets is on little blogs like this one. There is no evidence that David Lyudmirsky has a real following, so he doesn’t have much to be smug about. That is a very important distinction that should be made- The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Interpol, the Strokes- they made crap music and they ended up grabbing a bunch of money and fame. Then there are these other bands that exist that made equally crap music, people I went to college with or met in New York- they didn’t even make money or become famous. They just made music nobody cared about. That’s Their Only Dreams.
Oh what do they sound like? I guess it’s supposed to be psychedelic music. A couple of tracks sound a little bit like a goth band maybe. Goth I liked a lot in high school and college but I’ve probably worn it out by now. Psychedelic is kind of interesting but I haven’t used illegal drugs in years now and it went along with a strong political leftism and I’m a libertarian conservative now, so I don’t really relate to it much anymore. That’s actually being too nice to Their Only Dreams. Their Only Dreams sounds like a guy screwing around with a four track or some music software.
He’s got a song called “Cool Crowd”. I don’t know if this is a fantasy he created for lack of friends-the lyric is “I wish I had been invited”. What, is he locked in his closet with a copy of Penthouse and some airplane glue?
Actually it does kind of remind me of something else, but not in the favorable way. I remember back in the 90’s when I was in high school, when the big magazines to read about bands in were Hypno and Mondo2000, issues of which are now rare. I was thinking of horror films to look into to review and I recalled a movie called Jugular Wine being reviewed in Hypno magazine. Jugular Wine isn’t even on DVD and there are some old issues of Hypno on e-bay and Amazon, the one with the review of Jugular Wine I haven’t seen. That was when Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails were huge recent phenomena. Beck was in there a little bit. Very early on Beck would kind of screw around with lo-fi. Ween did some similar things I recall. That was like almost twenty years ago now. It sounded progressive at that time when Ween and Beck did it. I don’t find myself going back to it, downloading the early Beck albums or early Ween. There are reasons back issues of Hypno have become rare. I had a Hypno t-shirt in high school, ten years from now they’ll probably have thrown Beck, Nirvana, and Nine Inch Nails in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It is what it is or rather it was what it was. Fifteen to twenty years ago Their Only Dreams might have ended up in Hypno or Mondo2000 and come off as progressive or interesting, but twenty years after the fact?
Does this guy even gets chicks at all? He kind of looks like Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs.
It’s some bad, bad music. That’s almost redundant these days.
I’ll tell you when I stop bullying these guys, is when the women connected to these bands start sleeping with me. Your chick bassist is my new girlfriend, we’re done. I don’t give a pan review of your stupid band. Until that happens, your band is fair game. This guy probably never even had the chick bassist…

4 comments:

  1. You probably know David and are just messing with him, right? He's actually very talented. Have you listened to his former project 'June In July'? I posted it here:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVU24eWsq8c

    Thanks,
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find his music sloppy but that's just me. Actually, I do know David a little bit now. He found the review, he got a kick out of it, so it's all good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. William, the song I posted sounds sloppy to you? Each to their own, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well that one just sounds like every indie rock band from the 200's.

    ReplyDelete