Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Unnamable (1988) Review: Sort of a Poor Film.

H.P. Lovecraft- poor guy is now recognized as a literary genius but in his life he was plagued by physical and mental illness. His work generally doesn’t translate well into film, there being a number of horrible films based on his work. The only one I’ve ever really liked was the Corman version of the Dunwhich Horrors. The worst I ever saw was LoveCcracked, a failed attempt at a comedic Lovecraft anthology. One of the films in the anthology was, embarrassingly, directed by my ex-girlfriend Jane Rose. To give you a sense of how insanely bad LoveCcracked is, let me say that I also once studied under the author Rick Moody, whose essay on the Magnetic Fields was less embarrassing to me. If you don’t know what I’m talknign about, I encourage you not to look it up. Rick Moody on the Magnetic Fields, Jane’s filmmaking, those are some extreme moments of artistic failure right there. Having watched the film the Unnamed from 1988 is not that level of shameful, but it is generally sort of a poor film. That Re-animator film from the 80’s, that thing is really a piece of shit. The Unnamable has some female full frontal nudity in it, but feels kind of like a Scooby-Doo episode. 80’s college students get chased around an old house by a monster. Wait, do I have to give a plot synopsis on these piece of crap film? I more or less did- 80’s college students get chased around an old house by a monster. If I were much more of a Lovecraft fan, this film would make me angry probably. Lovecraft is alright, I wouldn’t say he was the best author I’d ever read though. Be that as it may, the understanding of his work by who ever made the Unnamable is vastly insulting. I answered Craigslist helo wanted adds while reviewing this film. The monster’s costume is wretched. You can see the tights. I thought most of Lovecrafts monsters had tentacles and such. Oh well.
I may be running low on good horror films to watch, especially from the 80’s. The Unnamble is pretty sorry. I have a soft spot for eighties horror soundtracks and female full frontal nudity in horror films, but beyond that this is a poor, poor film.

No comments:

Post a Comment