Sunday, June 5, 2011

Viler Jehovah Deported?

Yes, the rumor that Viler Jehovah was deported came to me yesterday through the much more well known painter Paul Richard, I had some stuff still left at Paul Richard’s studio in Greenpoint to get sent down here to Philadelphia. Viler Jehovah is a figure of mystery, a homeless painter and musician from Mozambique, of which little is known and less is fully understood. Directly before I moved to Vegas in the fall of 2008 I produced an album length demo for Viler Jehovah, whose real name I don’t know. If there is enough public interest I may put some of that material on-line. I have heard the rumor through Paul Richard that he was a career criminal. That was never clear to me, it would make some sense because he had laptops and it was not clear how a guy that lived in the tent by the river could afford such things, but it wasn’t like I would go to the squat were the guitarist Miles Emery lived and record with Viler and a twenty dollar bill would disappear from my wallet or anything. What Viler had told me is that he had sold drugs to keep alive but that he didn’t use them because he was a Christian. I’m not sure how that works. My problem with the guy wasn’t so much that as that he would not shut up about becoming famous. At that time, I was working to becoming certified as an NRA Firearms Instructor which shows you exactly how much faith I had in being able to make money through the arts and becoming magically famous. That is to say, none at all.
The story about Viler being deported is a little vague, having come to me from Paul Richard though Harry Essex, who has a long history of schizophrenia and substance abuse. The story goes something to the effect that Viler got arrested for something, and gave the police some fake name, and asked if they could get verification that he was a citizen or something like that, and they called Harry. That would be quite a hail Mary seeing as Harry sells women’s clothing he finds on the street. The details are not clear on this one.
There’s a bunch of weird stories about that guy. One is that he walk around in heavy clothes during the height of the summer heat in what the street artist Leviticus referred to as a “bubble suit”. The other was that he prepared food at Paul Richard’s studio and was careful his food was thoroughly cooked because he was afraid of getting AIDS from eating food that was not cooked well enough.
If anyone has information about the whereabouts of Viler and his magical bubble suit, contact me here.

1 comment: