Thursday, April 19, 2012

Dr. Don's Snuff Film Action- Banned in Canada!

Nothing spells class quite like Dr.Don. The fact that I am reviewing this excrement indicates that I am running out of "snuff film" related materials or horror films that have been banned to review- which should already be obvious to anyone who reads this blog with any regularity. Dr. Don isn't even well known, particularly. The Complete Works of Dr. Don Volume 1 isn't even on Amazon. Dr. Don Smith is this Canadian filmmaker who made very realistic fake "snuff" type images demonstrating gun and knife wounds using CGI that he circulated on-line to advertise special effects services.There is a video of Dr. Don's work available that comes with a brief documentary about his legal problems called The Complete Works of Dr. Don Volume .1 1998-2000. He got hit with some fairly serious obscenities charges fines, and legal fees. His effects where okay in so far as he got it right that the fat on a woman's body would ripple if shot. The acting in said videos, however, is particularly bad. I wouldn't call it wholesome, but I don't really see why Canada would make this material illegal. They really handed it to Dr. Don. His videos are much the same thing over and over- nude and semi-nude women being shot. There is little if any narrative to these films at all. The purpose of these videos I think was more to get commercial work for films than as something to watch hours and hours of straight. I can only be so impressed by the fact that he had a few details related to shooting right that other effects people overlooked. I doubt I'll ever get through all these videos in one sitting- and I am both a big firearms enthusiast and a horror film enthusiast, to be honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment