Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A Further Reflection on Coptic Light

This blog is largely redundant of things I’ve posted elsewhere, but I’m going to put my thoughts down here and a newly organized fashion to make it a little clearer what I really mean.





This is a subject that I’ve addressed before, but this week, for some reason my writing related to the line-up of bands No Quarter records had in the mid 2000’s such as Psychic Paramount, Coptic Light, and even Electric Turn To Me have gotten more hits then they normally do. As I think I’ve stated earlier, all of those bands with the exception of Earth, I meet members of during the 2000’s, including Circle and Pharaoh Overlord who live over in Finland- I meet Jussi on line. I think that’s really why I would even bother writing about these bands at all. Circle and Earth I think are good bands. I’m more interested in listening to other things these days. I think I will give repeat what I’ve said in a different form in a few different blog entrees. Coptic Light performed at a decimal of what they could have accomplished. An experimental instrumental project with Kevin Shea on drums with two former members of hardcore bands should have been something really great. It was not. I will state this once and for all: if Jon Fine had turned his guitar amp all the way up, put his guitar to the amplifier and let the amp feedback for a half an hour, that while Kevin played drums, it would have been a better band. I am dead serious. What they did instead was relatively limp wristed.
Now I will clarify about what I am more interested in listening too. I don’t really like paying for music. I’ll tell you how to hear some music that is far superior to Coptic Light without paying a dime.

1. Last year around this time this year, an on-line metal store called Metalhit.com put out a serious of six free sampler albums based on genre- Death Metal, Thrash Metal, Folk Metal, Gothic Metal, Doom Metal, and Black Metal. I’ve written about this series on here before. On all six albums there’s one song that I dislike, the energy that these bands have and the technical skills they have for the most part blow Williamsburg hipster type bands completely out of the water.
2. 2009 the on-line radio station Soma.fm started broadcasting the station Doomed.fm, which is their gothic/industrial station. I’ve written on here about how I’ve gotten sick of goth over the years. I’ve had a change of heart because I’ve been listening to Doomed a lot, and there’s a wealth of more recent bands I wasn’t familiar with (Collapsar, Big Mouse, Sky Burial) older bands I didn’t know about (Brighter Death Now, Autumn Cathedral) and bands I knew about but hadn’t heard much (Attrition). Every once and a while I hear a band I’ve known forever like Legendary Pink Dots, Bauhaus, Black Tape for a Blue Girl, Joy Division, or Current 93. Mostly, however, it is gothic/industrial music few people have heard before, and a lot of it is quite good.
There you go. Don’t buy experimental music by some terrible band that Williamsburg hipsters are in. There’s far better music available for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment