Friday, September 9, 2011

On the Making of Johnny Reaper




As you can see this is a film that has me in it. The world premier of this film is at Theater7 this evening in Las Vegas. It was directed by this film student Michael Zayas. I think Zayas was only 17 or something like that when we shot the thing. He’s only doing intro to film at a local school in Vegas, community college if I’m not mistaken. Even the level of professionalism for the trailer is something else considering how young Michael Zayas is. I think it’s very difficult for independent filmmakers to even get their films on a big screen. This guy Zayas he did it in his teens with his dad on the set. Get this, the actors that made the film had to correct Michael Zayas on details about drugs because Michael Zayas had no real experience with drugs- because he is so young.
Influenced by Chad Freeman over at PollyStaffle, Zayas made the decision to cast me as a homeless person that plays a small but pivotal role in the tragedy that transpires when a young man’s first drug deal goes array. I was told to look as crazy as I could, which I think I accomplished successfully. I was allowed to improvise my lines. I have not gotten the opportunity to see the finished version of the film.
It’s a bleak little piece of cinematography. Zayas is a weird little filmmaker. It was all very much local actors from Las Vegas that made the film. There was no “budget” really to speak of.
I think it’s good. There are some very abstract and odd qualities to it. Essentially though, it has hit the head on the hammer that when you get involved with drug dealers and such you may really have no idea what you are getting into.
A homeless derelict in Vegas is likely to tell you as much with conviction, whether or not you listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment