Friday, August 19, 2011

Art Review! Max Maslansky! Wretched!




The art world is almost like congress at this point. Kick the bums out.
It would be inaccurate to say I am completely un-invested in the arts. I’m very excited about the Lou Reed with Metallica album, Human Centipede 2 should be good, and I like to see this HBO film about Phil Spector that Al Pacino and David Mamet are now making. I have been friends with the painter Paul Richard for a number of years. But then you have people like Max Maslansky.
I kid you not, this guy identifies himself as an artist on his webpage. Oh, you identify yourself as an artist? That gives me reason enough not to like you right there. If you want to be contrived, call yourself an artist. If you want to prove it, paint like this:
http://www.max-maslansky.com/

Maslansky identifies himself as a street artist. That was something that was very difficult about the brief period where I lived with Paul Richard: our friend Leviticus would come over and the subject would turn to street art. Since I had lived in Las Vegas for two and a half years before that, I was out of the loop on that, and when I saw what it was they were talking about, I wished I had stayed out of the loop on that. The thing with Paul Richard is that he also does very, very realistic portrait painting, he can draw a human hand that looks exactly like a human hand. If people in the gallery system think that the whole Banksy thing is shocking, they are out of their minds. There is more controversy about two subjects I have already mentioned- the David Mamet film about Phil Spector for HBO and Human Centipede 2. Max Maslansky is like the Strokes. These jack-asses the Strokes got famous because American Apparel dumped a whole bunch of cash on a bunch of crappy magazines. That’s why we have the hipster culture that we now have. You want to see a stance against the status quo take a good look at the Ron Paul campaign. Under Barack Obama the neo-liberalism of the hipsters more or less is the status quo. Maslansky looks like a children’s book illustrator most of the time. He represents no challenge to the way we live. He represents a very dormancy of the way we live. So dreary to look at this guy’s work and then some gallery makes the mistake of backing him. And then he and the gallery wonder why no one cares. He looks like a goddamn children’s book illustrator, that’s why no one cares. I don’t want this prick painting on my street. I hope he gets busted for vandalism if he does. The best thing I can say about him is it would pretty amazing if he has a girlfriend I can steal.



1 comment: