Saturday, August 27, 2011

More Awful Music! In the Grace of Your Love by the Rapture!


The new album by the band The Rapture officially comes out the first week of September, but it’s actually been available on-line for a while. It’s on this blog:

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/reverb/2011/08/the_new_rapture_album_in_the_g.php


The Rapture came out in 1998 and started to get big early 2000’s along with the Strokes, Interpol, the White Stripes and a bunch of other indie rock bands very unexpectedly. They sounded more or less like a watered-down imitation of the very early days of the Cure but avoided looking at all “goth”. That would have been slightly taboo or out of fashion at the time to have he make-up or look of goth, they dressed like other bands of the time dressed with the tight jeans and the “metrosexual” haircuts.
Did I say they were good? They really were not. I hate The Strokes, I hate the Rapture. I hate the White Stripes. I hate them all.
Their official Myspace page describes them as playing “soul” music now. That’s sort of what they’re going for, something in that direction. They’re certainly going for more of a “dance” music thing and trying to sound like older black music these days.
Did I say their new album is good? No. I couldn’t sit through the whole album. I was surprised a little bit by what they now sound like, but it was just a different bad.



I doubt this album will do well commercially either. I think their era is gone. Occasionally I still hear the Strokes or The White Stripes played somewhere, not that often. A bunch of those bands still put out music though, but fewer people care. I was giving current metal bands and goth bands a hard time lately here and on the Jerry Magoo art blog because a lot of them can re-create the sound of bands from the 80’s faithfully but can’t seem to generate much new. That is still a lot better than the Rapture. The new Rapture album is completely boring and pointless. It’s an exercise in publicly defecating in your pants.

No comments:

Post a Comment