Thursday, August 18, 2011

It’s Time to Turn Off Psychic TV









I think the time to turn Psychic TV off. They were one of If not my very favorite bands in high school when I was a goth boy with a drug problem in New England, which is pretty much who that music is for. That was a very long time ago. Since then Genesis P. Orridge has had fake breasts put in for some reason I have never really understood. I don’t do psychedelics anymore so I no longer understand his whole occultist/drug induced enlightenment trip. Musically, what Orridge does hasn’t evolved substantially over the years, and he had some weak material going back into it. They had a techno phase I can do without.
You know what? I can do without all of it at this point. Joy Division from the same scene during the same period has aged much better. As I’ve said innumerable times, I am very excited to see Metallica playing with Lou Reed. Lou Reed with Metallica is much better then Orridge is now.
If you take a close look in that video you will see my friend Sean McBride from the bands Xeno & Oaklander and Martial Canterel. Sean, bless his soul, is a good enough musician as far as it goes, but I’m not that amazed by what he does. He’s caught in about the same problem that the band Children of Technology are caught in- they both go back to different bodies of music form the 80’s, copy the music well, and then that’s sort of that. They pick the right bodies of music from the 80’s to copy- in Children of Technology’s case bands like Voivod and Celtic Frost and in Sean McBride’s case “coldwave” music.
I never got around to telling Sean this, but I think that the answer would have been for him to play with Children of Technology. Then they would at least be a variant recombination of elements of 80’s music.
But then if you get Orridge out in front of him, that’s just bad. Orridge is like some aging drag queen now.
There are three people that follow me around like ghost in so far as I meet everyone they do. Those are Genesis P. Orridge, Phil Spector, and Daniel Nicherie. Daniel Nicherie is by far the most interesting of those three though probably the least known. If you do your research on those three you will start to wonder much about me and the company I keep. However, I would caution against doing too much research on Orridge because he’s done a lot of very lengthy and boring interviews in small art publications over the years.
It is time to let it go. The acid trip is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment