Friday, March 2, 2012

Academic Hackery: Occupy, The New Atheism, Speculative Realism

Occupy I have already discussed on this blog a lot, and would like to save discussion of for my Blog talk radio show WheatonLeaks where discussion of it would actually have an audience. I don't like Occupy at all, I don't care for David Greaber. I'm not a leftist at all, but rather a member of the Libertarian Party and a proud gun owner. David Greaber is an annoying pedant, and his followers have taken up the most bureaucratic and pointless cause of late, which is that they protested the Whitney Biennial in New York. It is extremely telling, as I have noted, that the F.B.I is currently more concerned with the Sovereign Citizens movement than with Occupy. Occupy is a real non-revolution in a lot of ways. I discussed the New Atheism yesterday on here yesterday. As I've noted, I hate the New Atheism. They are angry, bigoted, nasty people who do not simply disbelieve in the existence of God, but hate people who do believing in God with a deep rooted fanaticism. I've been continuing to see it argued and argued well, by the Christian analytic philosopher William Lane Craig as well as reviewers in mainstream publications like Harper's, that New Atheists like Dawkins and the late Christopher Hitchens are poor philosophers. The best thing about the New Atheists is watching William Lane Craig take these guys on, which is a lot of fun. Of course William Lane Craig is absolutely right, the New Atheism is an ugly excuse for "thought". Then there's also speculative realism. I could see some of the writing that I do lumped in with this movement in a way, but this would be deeply deceptive. Some of them have a thing for writing on the black metal phenomenon like I do, but I think that's where the similarities end. I've tried to look into speculative realism, it doesn't really work for me or interest me that much. Probably even William Lane Craig actually does a lot of what the speculative realists are trying to do with a greater degree of success. That's my hunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment