Thursday, March 1, 2012

William Lane Craig and the New Atheism

In my view, the New Atheist movement espoused and developed by people like the late Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins is an ugly, bigoted, hateful movement. I just kicked a New Atheist off my Facebook page for attacking the Mormon faith constantly, being as that I live in a city which is something like 15-20% Mormon. What I didn't understand about the New Atheist movement is that it is not just that they don't believe in God it is that they hate the belief in God and by extension hate religious people. Our military is filled with Evangelicals, our Federal Bureau of Investigation is filled with Mormons. In fact, the F.B.I was once subject to a discrimination lawsuit due to the dominance of Mormons within it. Regardless of what Evangelicals in the U.S. military or Mormons in law enforcement believe or don't believe, I feel it is irrational to hate such individuals or to disrespect such individuals. They New Atheists are not like that. These are obsessive, angry, bitter individuals driven by an obsessive need to feel that they are smarter. A New Atheist is smarter than a large chunk of the F.B.I. because they agree with Christopher Hitchens? I find that hard to swallow. I was deeply surprised to see where some of their more vocal intellectual opponents came out of. I was not in college especially a fan of anglo-american "analytical" philosophy, associating it with an overly rational, cold, logistical world view which favored the disciplines of math and science. I've been very much wrong in my assumptions. Analytical philosopher Bertrand Russell wrote book called "Why I am Not a Christian" many years ago. However, a lot of these analytical philosophy folks are now into Christian theology. One such figure, William Lane Craig, is into debating the New Atheists. He maintains that they are inept and juvenile philosophers. Where I can say with the most sincerity that I agree with William Lane Craig is the assertion that these New Atheists are not the intellectual elite that they might have us believe. Again, I hardly believe some undergraduate philosophy major is smarter than a good chunk of F.B.I agents that ascribe to the Mormon faith. That's a fairly absurd thing to believe, and I just don't buy it. For those who will attack William Lane Craig, it is worth my noting that the review of Richard Dawkins book The God Delusion was utterly banned by a non-Evangelical author in the mainstream publication Harper's, the author also claiming that it was juvenile thought.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me ask you this- Do you feel deeply superior to Evangelicals and Mormons serving in the U.S. military and law enforcement? Do you own firearms? That's my question for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually don't answer that. I kinda don't care what your answer is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. absolutely spot on William.When the likes of Dawkins states that teaching children about the Christian faith is a form of child abuse shows a deep down dark hatred that can only be described as in league with Christs main enemy and we all know who that is.

    ReplyDelete